As the world rapidly shifts towards digitalization, traditional professions such as notary have also seen a transformation of their business models.
With the advent of online platforms, notaries can now leverage technology to provide their services remotely and create multiple streams of income.
In this article, we’ll examine how you can make the most out of your notary license by offering your services online and earning money from the comfort of your home.
1. Become an Online Notary
One of the best ways to make money as a notary in today’s world is to become an online notary. This is facilitated with the help of electronic notarization platforms such as Notarize.com, NotaryCam.com, and DocVerify.com, among others. These platforms allow notaries to verify documents online, witness signatures, and affix their digital seal on documents. By doing so, they offer clients the advantage of remote access to notary services.
To become an online notary, you need to fulfill the following requirements:
• Have a valid notary license issued by your state.
• Complete an online training course to learn about electronic notarization processes and technology.
• Register with one or more online notarization platforms and obtain the necessary equipment such as a webcam, microphone, and a reliable internet connection.
By becoming an online notary, you can earn $25-$50 per signature, depending on the complexity of the transaction.
2. Offer Mobile Notary Services
Another way to make money as a notary is to offer mobile notary services. This involves traveling to a client’s location to notarize documents. In many cases, clients may find it challenging to travel to a notary’s office, especially during the pandemic. Therefore, offering mobile notary services can prove to be an attractive option for them.
To offer mobile notary services, you need to:
• Advertise your services on online directories such as Yelp, Google Maps, and social media platforms.
• Set your rates based on the distance you need to travel and the time required to complete the notarization.
• Respond promptly to client inquiries and schedule appointments at their convenience.
By offering mobile notary services, you can charge $25-$100 per signature, depending on the location and complexity of the transaction.
3. Provide Remote Online Notary Services
Remote online notarization refers to the process of notarizing documents entirely online, in which the notary and the signer are in different locations. This type of service is becoming increasingly popular as it provides convenience and flexibility to clients who need to notarize documents from a different state or country.
To provide remote online notary services, you need to:
• Check if your state allows remote online notarization and obtain a remote notary commission, if required.
• Register with one or more remote online notarization platforms such as Notarize.com, NotaryCam.com, and Pavaso.com.
• Invest in the necessary equipment such as a webcam, microphone, and a reliable internet connection.
• Follow the specific procedures outlined by the respective platforms and your state’s laws pertaining to remote online notarization.
By providing remote online notary services, you can earn $10-$50 per signature, depending on the platform and the complexity of the transaction.
4. Offer Translation and Apostille Services
Apart from notarization, you can offer other value-added services to your clients, such as translation and apostille services. Translation services involve translating a document into another language, while apostille services involve certifying a document for use in a foreign country.
To offer translation and apostille services, you need to:
• Expand your range of skills by learning another language, or by partnering with a professional translator.
• Acquire knowledge about international laws and regulations pertaining to apostille requirements.
• Advertise your services online, and offer package deals to attract potential clients.
By offering translation and apostille services, you can charge $25-$100 per document, depending on the language and the complexity of the requirements.
In conclusion, as a notary, making money online is no longer a pipe dream. By leveraging technology and offering your services remotely, you can expand your clientele base and diversify your revenue streams. Whether you choose to become an online notary, offer mobile notary services, provide remote online notarization services, or offer translation and apostille services, the opportunities to earn more as a notary are endless.